Thursday, February 03, 2005

wild about harry


the trouble with harry is ...

... nothing. Not a damn thing. In fact, this is one hell of a good guy. I was displeased when he was chosen for the job, and I had some words about it at the time. You know what? When I eat that crow tonight I hope I find some white meat. I honor Harry Reid today, the man who said this about the nomination of Alberto Gonzales:
Because of our unshakable belief in human rights, we became a ray of light, a beacon for people in other parts of the world. America has been that beacon because we are a nation governed by laws, not by men ...

We are a nation where no one, not even the President of the United States,is above the law. We are a nation where our military is bound by the uniform Code of Military Justice and the laws of war. And we are a nation that even at war stands for and upholds the rule of law.

... We need to stand against torture because of what it does to us as a country, to those serving now, to the future servicemen of our country, and what it does to us as a nation.

If we fail to oppose an evil as obvious as torture -- it is an evil and it is obvious it is wrong--then as President Thomas Jefferson said, I will "tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thanks to Armando at DailyKos (who's turning out to be my kind of guy) for highlighting these words. Harry Reid, I was wrong about you. I assumed that your political history and your warm statements toward Bush meant that you would be a Neville Chamberlain Democrat. I could not have been more mistaken. You have not only stood forthrightly for what is great and good about this country, but you have done so eloquently and with honor. I applaud your last sentence, for it reminds us all that the government's tolerance of torture makes a mockery of the spiritual values our leaders claim to uphold.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just." Thomas Jefferson


'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the
least of these my brethren, you did it to me.'
Matthew 25:31-40



|